Thought for the Day
“No party has a monopoly on wisdom.
No democracy works without compromise.”
~ Barack Obama
(1961 – )
*Barack Hussein Obama II
(born August 4, 1961) is the 44th and current President of the United States and the first African American to hold the office. Born in Honolulu, Hawaii, Obama is a graduate of Columbia University and Harvard Law School, where he was president of the Harvard Law Review.
He was a community organizer in Chicago before earning his law degree. He worked as a civil rights attorney in Chicago and taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School from 1992 to 2004. He served three terms representing the 13th District in the Illinois Senate from 1997 to 2004.
*Source | More
I think that it takes people with many ideas and experiences to bring out the best in ourselves and our country. Diversity and working together will bring about a bright future.
The Thought Collectors Wife
Share Your Opinion
Help us learn to know you better. We are looking for your opinion on ideas we have for new additions to the Thought for the Day. Click Here to take our survey.
Birthdays Sept 8
- 1157 – King Richard I of England (d. 1199)
- 1633 – Ferdinand IV of Germany (d. 1654)
- 1897 – Jimmie Rodgers, American singer and composer (d. 1933)
- 1922 – Sid Caesar, American comedian
- 1925 – Peter Sellers, English actor (d. 1980)
- 1932 – Patsy Cline, American singer (d. 1963)
- 1933 – Asha Bhosle, Indian singer
- 1956 – Stefan Johansson, Swedish Formula One driver
- 1960 – Aimee Mann, American musician
- 1968 – Wolfram Klein, German footballer
- 1979 – Pink, American singer
- 1996 – Krystal Reyes, Filipina actress
- 1997 – Kimberlea Berg, English actress
History September 8
- 1504 – Michelangelo’s David is unveiled in Florence.
- 1664 – New Amsterdam becomes New York
- 1926 – Germany is admitted to the League of Nations.
- 1930 – 3M begins marketing Scotch transparent tape.
- 1951 – Japan signs peace treaty with 48 countries
- 1952 – Ernest Hemingway’s Old Man and the Sea was published.
- 1966 – The first Star Trek series premieres on NBC.
- 1973 – Home run number 709 went into the record books for Hank Aaron.
- 1974 – Watergate Scandal: US President Gerald Ford grants an unconditional pardon to former President Richard Nixon.
- 2003 – The Recording Industry Association of America (or RIAA) filed 261 copyright lawsuits against Internet users for trading songs online as part of the RIAA’s crackdown on peer-to-peer network users.
To our valued subscribers
If you haven’t visited our website in a while, now would be a good time. We have been busy remodeling and upgrading and have many new experiences planned for the future. Many of the current and future upgrades will only be available from our website so pay us a visit and Share Your Opinion.[paypal-donation]
Today is the 251st day of the year 114 days remain.