Thought for the Day
“One of the most tragic things I know about human nature
is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming
of some magical rose garden over the horizon
instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming
outside our windows today.”
Dale Breckenridge Carnegie (Nov. 24 1888 – Nov. 1 1955) American writer, lecturer & developer of courses in self-improvement, salesmanship, corporate training, public speaking & interpersonal skills. The author of How to Win Friends and Influence People, first published in 1936,.. Source
History Today October 1st;
- 1890 – Yosemite National Park is established by the U.S. Congress.
- 1908 – The Model T was introduced & came with a 20-horsepower 4-cylinder engine, had a top speed of 45 miles per hour. It weighed 1,200 pounds & got 13-21 mpg. The car had a price tag of $850 and later sold for as little as $260. source
- 1931 – George Washington Bridge <> New Jersey & New York opens.
- 1957 – First appearance of In God We Trust on U.S. paper currency.
- 1975 – Ali wins “Thrilla in Manila” US boxer Muhammad Ali retains the
world heavyweight boxing championship after defeating his arch-rival, Joe Frazier, in their third & arguably greatest fight. The fight lasted 14 rounds before Frazier’s trainer, Eddie Futch, finally persuaded him to call it a day.
Birthdays Today October 1st;
- 1920 – Walter Matthau, American actor (d. 2000)
- 1924 – Jimmy Carter, 39th President of the United States
- 1932 – Albert Collins, American guitarist (d. 1993)
- 1935 – Julie Andrews, British actress and singer
- 1950 – Randy Quaid, American actor
- 1959 – Youssou N’Dour, Senegalese singer
- 1969 – Ori Kaplan, Israeli jazz musician
Welcome to October;
- October’s birthstones are pink tourmaline and opal.
- Its birth flower is the calendula.
- The Zodiac sign for October are Libra (until October 22) or Scorpio (October 23 onwards).
October Month-long Observances;
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month (USA)
- Black History Month (in United Kingdom)
- National Sarcastic Awareness Month (USA)
- Adopt a Dog Month (USA)
- National Cookie Month (USA)
- Children’s Book Week (England) – First Week of October
Holidays and Observances for today October 1st:
- World Vegetarian Day
- National Day (People’s Republic of China)
- Independence Day (Nigeria)
- World Habitat Day
Did You Know?
- October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- 1 in every 4 women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime.
- 85% of domestic violence victims are women.
- Most cases of domestic violence are never reported to the police.
Today is the 274th day of the year, 91 days remain.
It is also Fire Awareness and Safety Month!