Thought for the Day
The Clock of Life
The clock of life is wound but once,
And no man has the power
To tell just when the hands will stop
At late or early hour.
To lose one’s wealth is sad indeed,
To lose one’s health is more,
To lose one’s soul is such a loss
That no man can restore.
The present only is our own,
So live, love, toil with a will,
Place no faith in “Tomorrow,”
For the Clock may then be still.
by Robert H. Smith,
copyright 1932, 1982
Do you know Robert H. Smith?
What a beautiful poem right? But I could find no biographical information on Robert H. Smith. If you know anything would you please share? Thanks
Today is the 252nd day of the year (Gregorian calendar) 113 days remain.
- 1778 – Clemens Brentano, German poet (d. 1842)
- 1828 – Leo Tolstoy, Russian novelist (d. 1910)
- 1890 – Colonel Sanders, American fast-food entrepreneur (d. 1980)
- 1905 – Hussain Sha, Indian philosopher (d. 1981)
- 1911 – Paul Goodman, American poet and writer (d. 1972)
- 1941 – Otis Redding, American singer and songwriter (d. 1967)
- 1960 – Hugh Grant, English actor
- 1966 – Adam Sandler, American actor and comedian
- 1967 – Akshay Kumar, Indian actor
- 1974 – Ana Carolina, Brazilian singer, composer and musician
- 1983 – Kim Jung-hwa, South Korean actress and model
- 1992 – Frencheska Farr, Filipina singer
- 1543 – Mary Stuart, at nine months old, is crowned “Queen of Scots”
- 1791 – Washington, D.C., the capitol of the United States, is named after President George Washington.
- 1850 – California is admitted as the thirty-first U.S. state.
- 1926 – The National Broadcasting Company (NBC) was created by the Radio Corporation of America.
- 1971 – Prisoners riot at Attica Prison in New York and seize control taking 39 prison guards and staff hostage.
- 1981 – John McEnroe defeated Czechoslovakia’s Ivan Lendl. It was McEnroe’s fourth U.S. Open, men’s singles, tennis championship.
- 1993 – The Palestine Liberation Organization officially recognizes Israel as a legitimate state.
- 2008 – Asif Ali Zardari was sworn in as Pakistan’s president
Share Your Opinion
Help us learn to know you better. We are looking for your opinion on ideas we have for new additions to the Thought for the Day. Click Here to take our survey.
If what we do helps you through your day wont you consider making a donation. Every little bit helps. Thanks. [paypal-donation]