Thought for the Day
When you were young,
you had your own set of values.
Values that nothing could change.
An ice cream cone
was a snow-capped mountain of sheer delight.
An autographed baseball
was more precious than rubies.
And a note from the teacher meant only one thing:
~ Ward Cleaver
Ward Cleaver is a fictional character (Played by Hugh Beaumont) in the American television sitcom Leave It to Beaver. Ward and his wife, June, are often invoked as archetypal suburban parents of the baby-boomer 1950’s. The couple are the parents of Wally, a thirteen-year-old in the eighth grade, and seven-year-old (“almost eight”) second-grader Theodore, nicknamed “The Beaver”. Source
Word for the Day: preponderant
pre·pon·der·ant [pri-pon-der-uhnt] adjective
preponderance , preponderancy n preponderantly adv
- superior in weight, force, influence, numbers, etc
- prevailing, dominant
- His preponderance is obvious when he enters the room.
- His preponderant ways has driven his staff to seek other employment.
- The issue with employee theft is a preponderant problem and should be dealt with immediately.
- He preponderantly stalks his prey, knowing that if he fails he might not get another chance to eat again for days.
Today in History:
- 1883 – First run of the Orient Express.
- 1957 – The first satellite “Sputnik l”, launched by the Soviet Union.
- 1957 – “Leave It to Beaver” premiered on CBS-TV.
- 1963 – Hurricane Flora, kills 6,000 in Cuba and Haiti.
- 1997 – Loomis Fargo Bank Robbery, $17.3 million cash Charlotte, NC
Did You Know?
Every metric ton (1,000 kg) of waste glass recycled into new items saves 315 kilograms (690 lb) of carbon dioxide from being released into the atmosphere during the creation of new glass. Source
- 1814 – Jean-François Millet, French painter (d. 1875)
- 1895 – Buster Keaton, American comedian (d. 1966)
- 1941 – Anne Rice, American novelist
- 1944 – Patty LaBelle, singer
- 1962 – Jon Secada, Cuban singer and songwriter
- 1974 – Paco León, Spanish actor
Holidays and Observances:
- Cinnamon Roll Day or kanelbullens dag (Sweden)
- Day of Peace and Reconciliation (Mozambique)
- Independence Day, Lesotho from United Kingdom in 1966.
- World Animal Day
Video Spotlight: Leave it to Beaver“
Happy 55 Birthday! The video is a news clip commemorating the 50th anniversary in 2007, with clips and interviews from surviving members, and lots interesting trivia.
Today is the 277th day of the year 88 days remain.