Thought for the Day
“Always learn poems by heart.
They have to become the marrow in your bones.
Like fluoride in the water,
they’ll make your soul impervious
to the world’s soft decay.”
~ Janet Fitch
Janet Fitch (born November 9, 1955) An american writer, teacher and lecturer, most famously known as the author of White Oleander, which became a film in 2002.
Source  | Blog
Word For the Day: impervious
\im-PUR-vee-uhs\ , adjective:
- Not admitting of entrance or passage through; impenetrable.
- Not capable of being harmed or damaged.
- Not capable of being affected.
impenetrable, impermeable, tight
- Impervious surfaces such as rooftops, paved driveways, patios, and parking lots, are major contributors to rainwater runoff entering the District’s sewer system. www.dcwater.com
- Imperviousness refers to the inability of a surface to allow water to percolate through. A sponge is pervious, a countertop is impervious, cardboard is somewhere in between. Sandy soils are pervious; asphalt is not. www.hillsdalecounty.info
- Robert pursued his plan with determination, impervious to the negative banter and insults from his critics.
History Today Sept 22
- 1499 – Treaty of Basel: Switzerland becomes an independent state.
- 1862 – Lincoln issues Emancipation Proclamation
- 1888 – The first issue of National Geographic Magazine is published.
- 1964 – “Man from U.N.C.L.E,” premieres on NBC-TV
- 1985 – The first “Farm Aid” concert is held in Champaign, Illinois
- 1994 – The television sitcom Friends, debuts on NBC
Happy Birthday Today September 22
- 1722 – John Home, Scottish writer (d. 1808)
- 1887 – Karmaveer Bhaurao Patil, Indian activist (d. 1959)
- 1902 – John Houseman, Romanian-born actor (d. 1988)
- 1927 – Tommy Lasorda, American baseball manager
- 1931 – Manzoor Ahmad, Pakistani philosopher
- 1958 – Joan Jett, American singer
Holidays and observances:
- American Business Women’s Day (United States)
- Car-Free Day (Europe and Montreal, Canada)
- Earliest date for the autumnal equinox:
- OneWebDay, an annual day of Internet celebration and awareness
- Independence Day, Bulgaria and Mali
- International Rabbit Day – Fourth Saturday in September
Did you know?
Rabbits are the third most popular pet, behind dogs & cats.
Today is the 265th day of the year, 100 days remain.