Thought for the Day
“Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr
*Martin Luther King Jr.
Born January 15, 1929 Atlanta, Georgia
Died April 4, 1968 (aged 39) Memphis, Tennessee
An American clergyman, activist, and prominent leader in the African American civil rights movement. His main legacy is securing progress on civil rights in the United States. Because of this work, he has become a human rights icon. In 1964, King became the youngest person to receive the Nobel Peace Prize for his work to end racial segregation and racial discrimination through civil disobedience and other non-violent means.
Hate is the worst emotion you can experience. There are no good feelings that accompany it. The only person that hate can hurt is the person feeling the hate.
Share Your Opinion
Birthdays Sept 12
- 1797 – Samuel Joseph May, American abolitionist (d. 1871)
- 1913 – Jesse Owens, American athlete (d. 1980)
- 1914 – Rais Amrohvi, Pakistani poet and psychoanalyst (d. 1988)
- 1944 – Barry White, American singer (d. 2003)
- 1925 – 1949 – Charles Burlingame, American pilot of American Airlines Flight 77 (d. 2001)
- 1961 – Kathem Al Saher, Iraqi singer
- 1977 – James McCartney, British musician, son of Paul McCartney
- 1983 – Rami Haikal, Jordanian guitarist
History September 12
- 490 BC – Battle of Marathon: The conventionally accepted date for the Battle of Marathon. The Athenians and their Plataean allies, defeat the first Persian invasion force of Greece.
- 1213 – Albigensian Crusade: Simon de Montfort, 5th Earl of Leicester, defeats Peter II of Aragon at the Battle of Muret.
- 1609 – Henry Hudson begins his exploration of the Hudson River while aboard the Halve Maen.
- .1846 – Elizabeth Barrett elopes with Robert Browning.
- 1848 – Switzerland becomes a Federal state.
- 1857 – The SS Central America sinks about 160 miles east of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, drowning a total of 426 passengers and crew, including Captain William Lewis Herndon. The ship was carrying 13–15 tons of gold from the San Francisco Gold Rush.|
- 1890 – Salisbury, Rhodesia, is founded.
- 1919 – Adolf Hitler joins the German Workers Party.
- 1933 – Leó Szilárd, waiting for a red light on Southampton Row in Bloomsbury, conceives the idea of the nuclear chain reaction.
- 1940 – Cave paintings are discovered in Lascaux, France.
- 1942 – World War II: First day of the Battle of Edson’s Ridge during the Guadalcanal campaign. U.S. Marines protecting Henderson Field on Guadalcanal are attacked by Imperial Japanese Army forces.
- 1948 – Invasion of the State of Hyderabad by the Indian Army on the day after the Pakistani leader Jinnah’s death.
- 1952 – Strange occurrences, including a monster sighting, take place in Flatwoods, West Virginia.
- 1958 – Jack Kilby demonstrates the first integrated circuit.
- 1959 – The Soviet Union launches a large rocket, Lunik II, at the moon.
- 1970 – Palestinian terrorists blow up three hijacked airliners in Jordan, continuing to hold the passengers hostage in various undisclosed locations in Amman.
- 1977 – South African anti-apartheid activist Steve Biko is killed in police custody.
- 1990 – The two German states and the Four Powers sign the Treaty on the Final Settlement With Respect to Germany in Moscow, paving the way for German re-unification.
- 1992 – NASA launches Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-47 which marked the 50th shuttle mission. On board are Mae Carol Jemison, the first African-American woman in space, Mamoru Mohri, the first Japanese citizen to fly in a US spaceship, and Mark Lee and Jan Davis, the first married couple in space.
- 1994 – Frank Eugene Corder crashes a single-engine Cessna 150 into the White House’s south lawn, striking the West wing and killing himself.
- 2003 – The United Nations lifts sanctions against Libya after that country agreed to accept responsibility and recompense the families of victims in the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103.
To our valued subscribers
If you haven’t visited our website in a while, now would be a good time. We have been busy remodeling and upgrading and have many new experiences planned for the future. Many of the current and future upgrades will only be available from our website so pay us a visit and Share Your Opinion.[paypal-donation]
Today is the 255th day of the year, 110 days remain.