Thought for the Day
“Do you know the difference between education and experience?
Education is when you read the fine print;
experience is what you get when you don’t.”
~ Pete Seeger
( 1919 – )
*Peter “Pete” Seeger
An American folk singer and an iconic figure in the mid-20th-century American folk music revival.
Word For The Day: curmudgeon
cur·mud·geon noun \k?r-?m?-j?n\
- a crusty, ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions.
bear, bellyacher, complainer, crab, crank, croaker, crosspatch, grouch, fusser, griper, grouser, growler, grumbler, grump, murmurer, mutterer, sourpuss, whiner
- We could have done more business if Clarence wasn’t such a curmudgeon, driving away many potential buyers.
- As I complained and belly-ached and refused to accept the new company policies, I realized, omg! I’m a curmudgeon!
- 1519 – Ferdinand Magellan sets sail from Sanlúcar de Barrameda with about 270 men on his expedition to circumnavigate the globe.
- 1893 – Charles Duryea and his brother road-test the first American-made gasoline-powered automobile.
- 1971 – Having weakened after making landfall in Nicaragua the previous day, Hurricane Irene regains enough strength to be renamed Hurricane Olivia, making it the first known hurricane to cross from the Atlantic Ocean into the Pacific.
- 1973 – Billie Jean King beats Bobby Riggs in The Battle of the Sexes tennis match at the Houston Astrodome in Houston, Texas..
- 2011 – The United States ends its “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy, allowing gay men and women to serve openly for the first time.
September 20 is the 263nd day of the year, 102 days remain
- 1885 – Jelly Roll Morton, American jazz pianist, bandleader and composer (d. 1941)
- 1917 – Fernando Rey, Spanish-born actor (d. 1994)
- 1934 – Sophia Loren, Italian actress
- 1968 – Van Jones, American attorney and activist
- 1975 – Juan Pablo Montoya, Colombian race car driver
- 1995 – Laura Dekker, Dutch sailor
Holidays: Days of celebration and remembrance.
- National Punch Day (USA)
- National Youth Day (Thailand)
Did You Know?
Eskimos use refrigerators to keep food from freezing.
Please Click Here to take our survey.
[paypal-donation]Every little bit helps. Thanks.