Thought for the Day
“Familiarity with danger
makes a brave man braver
but less daring”
~ Herman Melville
An American novelist, short story writer, essayist, and poet. He is best known for his novel Moby-Dick. His first three books gained much contemporary attention (the first, Typee, becoming a bestseller), and after a fast-blooming literary success in the late 1840s, his popularity declined precipitously in the mid-1850s and never recovered during his lifetime.
I think that this thought is all about bravery and knowledge from experiences. It’s the difference between a young man on a race track taking high speed turns and twists, and a more knowledged man who knows where to speed up and slow down to get the best over all time. They are both brave, going at high speeds, but the one that is familiar with the danger is less daring for he has learned from his past experiences.
Another example would be going into a relationship. It takes a brave heart, for the danger is that one is very vulnerable to another person. Through familiarity with this “danger” one becomes less daring, but braver in the way that they continue on even though there is a risk of being hurt.
- 1911 – Bill Monroe, American musician (d. 1996)
- 1925 – Mel Tormé, American singer (d. 1999)
- 1948 – Dimitri Nanopoulos, Greek physicist
- 1951 – Jean Smart, American actress
- 1964 – Tavis Smiley, American talk show host, journalist and author
- 1965 – Zak Starkey, British musician
- 1899 – Henry Bliss is the first person in the United States to be killed in an automobile accident.
- 2001 – Civilian aircraft traffic resumes in the U.S. after the September 11, 2001 attacks.
- 2007 – The Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples is adopted by the United Nations General Assembly.
Share Your Opinion
Help us learn to know you better. We are looking for your opinion on ideas we have for new additions to the Thought for the Day. Click Here to take our survey.
If what we do helps you through your day wont you consider making a donation. Every little bit helps. Thanks. [paypal-donation]
Today is the 256th day of the year, 109 days remain.