Let others cheer the winning man,
There’s one I hold worth while;
‘Tis he who does the best he can
Then loses with a smile.
Beaten he is, but not to stay
Down with the rank and file,
That man will win some other day,
Who loses with a smile.
Author Unknown… We strive to give proper attribution for the daily thoughts. We do sometimes come across a Quote that we cannot find who the original author is/was. Sometimes we find a quote that is attributed to multiple authors. To these quotes and thoughts we show attribution as Author Unknown. If you know who the author is and can provide a source link please Contact Us.
Word for the Day: afterthought
af·ter·thought \af-ter-thawt\ noun
Definition of afterthought;
- an idea occurring later
- something (as a part or feature) not thought of originally : something secondary
Rhymes with afterthought;
- aeronaut, aforethought, aquanaut, argonaut, astronaut, cosmonaut, juggernaut, overbought, overwrought, second thought
Examples Sentences with afterthought;
- Then I remembered, almost as an afterthought, to feed the cat.
- The fact was hidden deep in the report, almost as an afterthought.
- The lounge was added to the office as an afterthought.
History Today September 26
- 1789 – Thomas Jefferson, appointed 1st United States Secretary of State
- 1962 – The Beverly Hillbillies” aired on CBS-TV (USA)
- 1964 – Gilligan’s Island” began its 98-show run on CBS (USA)
- 1986 – William H. Rehnquist became chief justice U.S. Supreme Court
- 1991 – 4 men & 4 women began their 2-year stay in the “Biosphere II.
- 1993 – The eight people who stayed in “Biosphere II” emerged
Holidays & Observances September 26
- National Good Neighbor Day
- National Pancake Day (USA)
- Johnny Appleseed Day
Happy Birthday September 26
- 1774 – Johnny Appleseed, American environmentalist (d. 1845)
- 1888 – T. S. Eliot, American-born British writer & poet, (d. 1965)
- 1933 – Donna Douglas (actress: Beverly Hillbillies, Frankie and Johnny)
- 1947 – Lynn Anderson, American country music singer
- 1953 – Dolores Keane, Irish folk singer
- 1989 – Emma Rigby, English actress
Birthday Spotlight: Lynn Anderson
Born: Lynn Rene Anderson, September 26, 1947 (age 64) she is an American country music singer and equestrian known for a string of hits throughout the 1970s and early 1980s. Check her out singing “I’ve Been Everywhere” on the Lawrence Welk Show, 1968.
Did You Know?
The sentence “the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” uses every letter in the English alphabet
Today is the 269th day of the year 96 days remain