“When you throw dirt,
you lose ground”.
I was unable to find a particular person to give credit for this quote. The best I could find is that it’s a Texas proverb and it was anonymously given in a Pennsylvania newspaper in 1923. I also found a similar quote by Adlai Ewing Stevenson II, (1900-1965) an american politician. “When you sling mud you lose ground”. If you have any information on who the original author of this quote is we invite you to share it.
Word for the day: throw dirt
- To make derogatory or malicious allegations, particularly about people in public life.
- The presidential candidates are so busy throwing dirt that they are ignoring the real issues.
- Because of the money behind them and their ability to sling mud, politics is dirtier than ever before.
History Today October 3rd;
- 1863 – US Pres Lincoln set last Thursday in Nov. as “Thanksgiving Day“.
- 1873 – U.S. Army hangs 4 Modoc Indians for murdering a Civil War hero
- 1929 – The Kingdom of Serbs, Croats & Slovenes, renamed Yugoslavia.
1951 – “The shot heard round the world“ Third baseman Bobby Thomson hits a one-out, three-run home run in the bottom of the ninth inning to win the National League pennant for the New York Giants. Thomson’s homer wrapped up an amazing come-from-behind run for the Giants and knocked the Brooklyn Dodgers out of their spot in the World Series. The next day, the momentum continued: The Giants beat the Yankees 5-1 in the first game of the World Series. Then the Yanks came back, winning the next three games and the series…more
- 1955 – “Captain Kangaroo” premiered on CBS.
- 1955 – “The Mickey Mouse Club” premiered on ABC.
- 1960 – “The Andy Griffith Show” premiered on CBS-TV.
- 1990 – East and West Germany reunite after 45 years.
Birthdays Today October 3rd;
- 1900 – Thomas Wolfe, American writer (d. 1938)
- 1935 – Charles Duke, American astronaut
- 1941 – Andrea de Adamich, Italian Formula One driver
- 1949 – Lindsey Buckingham, American musician (Fleetwood Mac)
- 1954 – Stevie Ray Vaughan, American blues musician (d. 1990)
- 1964 – Clive Owen, British actor
- 1971 – Kevin Richardson, American singer (Backstreet Boys)
- 1974 – Marianne Timmer, Dutch speed skater
- 1979 – Josh Klinghoffer, American musician (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
- 1980 – Danny O’Donoghue, Irish singer (The Script)
Did You Know?
As the ice caps melt and ocean levels rise the ocean does not fill up like a bath tub, meaning, the rate at which the water rises is not the same around the world. There is a 600 mile stretch of coastline from NC to MA that has seen three to four times the amount of rise then the world average. Source
Today is the 276th day of the year, 89 days remain.