Thought for the Day
“People take different roads
seeking fulfillment and happiness.
Just because they’re not on your road
doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.”
The Dalai Lama is the leader of the Gelug or “Yellow Hat” branch of Tibetan Buddhism. The name is a combination of the Mongolian word dalai meaning “Ocean” and the Tibetan word bla-ma (with a silent “b”) meaning “teacher”… Source | 14th Dalai Lama | More
- 1860 – Telegraph line between Los Angeles and San Francisco opens.
- 1871 – Four major fires break out on the shores of Lake Michigan in Chicago, Peshtigo, Wisconsin, Holland, Michigan, and Manistee, Michigan including the Great Chicago Fire, and the much deadlier Peshtigo Fire.
- 1956 – New York Yankees’s Don Larsen pitched the only perfect game in a World Series; one of only 20 perfect games in MLB history
- 2001 – U.S. President George W. Bush announces the establishment of the Office of Homeland Security.
- 1847 – Rose Scott, Australian social reformer (d. 1925)
- 1890 – Eddie Rickenbacker, American fighter pilot and airline executive (d. 1973)
- 1939 – Lynne Stewart, American civil liberties lawyer
- 1949 – Sigourney Weaver, American actress
- 1955 – Bill Elliott, American racing driver
- 1956 – Stephanie Zimbalist, American actress
- 1970 – Matt Damon, American actor
Did You Know;
- There is zero gravity at the center of earth.