Thought for the Day
“Peace isn’t the destination.
Peace is the way.”
~ Author Unknown
Nobel Peace Prize
The Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded 92 times to 124 Nobel Laureates. Every year since 1901 the Nobel Prize has been awarded for achievements in physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature and for peace. The Nobel Prize is an international award administered by the Nobel Foundation in Stockholm, Sweden.
The 2012 Nobel Peace Prize will be announced on Friday 12 October, 11:00 a.m. CET.
- 1582 – Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
- 1793 – The cornerstone of Old East, the oldest state university building in the United States, is laid on the campus of the University of North Carolina.
- 1823 – Charles Macintosh of Scotland sells the first raincoat.
- 1901 – President Theodore Roosevelt officially renames the “Executive Mansion” to the White House.
- 1945 – World War II: Desmond Doss is the first conscientious objector to receive the U.S. Medal of Honor.
- 1979 – The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams is published.
- 1992 – 5.8 earthquake occurred in Cairo, Egypt. At least 510 died.
- 1997 – US singer/songwriter John Denver dies in an air crash near Pacific Grove, California, when he was piloting his Rutan Long EZ
- 1865 – Arthur Harden, English chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1940)
- 1896 – Eugenio Montale, Italian poet, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1981)
- 1929 – Nappy Brown, American R&B singer (d. 2008)
- 1932 – Dick Gregory, American comedian and activist
- 1969 – Martie Maguire, American musician (Dixie Chicks)
- 1977 – Bode Miller, American alpine ski-racer
- 1995 – Jordan Howe, Welsh paralympic athlete
Did You Know;
- In pagan times Friday was the luckiest day of the week because it was ruled by the planet Venus, the symbol of love and fortune.