Thought for the Day
“Lots of people talk to animals.
Not very many listen, though.
That’s the problem.”
~ Benjamin Hoff,
The Tao of Pooh
Word For the Day: ellipsis
\i-elip-ses, e-\ , noun
The omission from a sentence or other construction of one or more words understandable from the context that would complete or clarify the construction. A mark to indicate the omission of letters or words.
The ellipsis consists of three evenly spaced dots (periods) with spaces between the ellipsis and surrounding letters or other marks.
Take the sentence, “The ceremony honored twelve brilliant athletes from the Caribbean who were visiting the U.S.” and leave out “from the Caribbean who were”:
The ceremony honored twelve brilliant athletes … visiting the U.S.
“I’m wondering …” Juan said, bemused.
History Today Sept 24
- 622 – Prophet Muhammad completes his hijra from Mecca to Medina.
- 1932 – Gandhi and Dr. B. R. Ambedkar agree to the Poona Pact, which reserved seats in the Indian provincial legislatures for the “Depressed Classes” (Untouchables).
- 1948 – The Honda Motor Company is founded.
- 1957 – President Dwight D. Eisenhower sends 101st Airborne Division troops to Little Rock, Arkansas, to enforce desegregation.
- 1968 – 60 Minutes debuts on CBS.
- 1979 – Compu-Serve launches the first consumer internet service, which features the first public electronic mail service.
- 1996 – Representatives of 71 nations sign the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty at the United Nations.
Happy Birthday Today September 24
- 1725 – Sir Arthur Guinness, Irish brewer (d. 1803)
- 1893 – Blind Lemon Jefferson, Texas blues singer and guitarist (d. 1929)
- 1896 – F. Scott Fitzgerald, American novelist (d. 1940)
- 1921 – Jim McKay, American sportscaster (d. 2008)
- 1936 – Jim Henson, American puppeteer; creator of the Muppets
- 1941 – Linda McCartney, American singer and photographer (d. 1998)
- 1946 – César Pedroso, Cuban pianist
Holidays and observances:
- National Punctuation Day
- National Cherries Jubilee Day
- Heritage Day (South Africa)
- National Bluebird of Happiness Day
- Family Health and Fitness Day – USA
- Innergize Day
Did you know?
…An ellipsis is not when the moon moves in front of the sun.
Today is the 267th day of the year, 98 days remain.